Tuesday, March 1, 2016

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon: The Green Legend or an ode to Zhang Yimou




A few days ago I watched 'Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon: The Green Legend' the Netflix sequel to the original. In my heart I hoped I would be blown away by it like its predecessor but my mind told me already it would be a tough competition. Thouht the film itself is not really bad, it isn't very good as well In fact it made me even long more and more for those big martial art movies from about 10 years ago. Films like 'Hero' and 'House of Flying Daggers' left an everlasting impression and I long for those days of those movies again. Maybe Zhang Yimou could onc emore take up arms and deliver such an instant classic just to sooth our minds.

The sequel to  Crouching Tiger had some beautiful moments and fights but the story wasn't all that impressive and some humor (or maybe even the acting) totally misplaced. Even the fighting didn't really feel top notch, more like they wanted to make some amazing fighting scenes and instead were overdoing it and just missed the essence. A shame because Woo-Ping yuen really is able to create something beautiful.

Watching a movie which feels like passing time doesn't have to be bad at all but dear Director Zhang Yimou, my heart lingers when i think of those glory days. My soul wants to go back to those films where only beauty and aweness seems to exists. Take me once more to that field with wild flowers of 'House  of Flying Daggers' and listen to the dreamy themesong 'Lovers'.

Time has passed
So much has changed
But the field remains in my heart




No comments: